Understanding Your Visa

Understanding Your Visa

F-1 International Student Visa

The F-1 Visa allows you to enter the United States (U.S.) as a full-time student at a United States accredited university. In order to maintain your status, you must adhere to what is listed on your form I-20. As an F-1 visa holder and on an I-20 status, you must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma or certificate. This status allows you to remain in the U.S. until the completion of studies date listed on your I-20. You can bring your spouse and children to live with you in the U.S. as long as you provide proof of sufficient financial resources. Spouses and children cannot work while in the U.S. To maintain full-time status, undergraduates must register for at least 12 credits each semester. If you are already in the United States on an active I-20 status, you must follow steps to transfer your SEVIS records to Penn State University.

Request Certificate of Eligibility to Obtain Student Visa (I-20)

Once you have been admitted to Penn State Lehigh Valley and you have confirmed your admission offer by paying your acceptance fee, you must then get ready to apply for your I-20. You will receive an email fromĀ international@psu.edu. This email will be sent to you once a month until you complete your request for form I-20.

More information on how to obtain your I-20 as well as transfer your I-20 record >>

Mandatory SEVIS (I-20) Fee and Visa Interview

Now that you have successfully requested for and received your form I-20, you are now required to pay your SEVIS (I-20) fee in order to schedule an interview appointment with United States Embassy in your home country in order to receive your F-1 visa for admission to the United States.

More information about SEVIS >>

I-94 Entry Admission Requirement

When you arrive at a port of entry in the U.S., you will be required to present your form I-20 along with your passport and financial documents.

Obtain your I-94 online >>