Frequently Asked Questions - Admissions

Frequently Asked Questions - Admissions

How can I arrange a visit to the campus?

Penn State Lehigh Valley is nestled in the heart of the Lehigh Valley’s thriving art, culture, athletic and recreational attractions. New York City and Philadelphia are both less than two hours from campus by car or public transportation. We definitely recommend that you visit our campus, either before you apply or shortly after you submit your admission application. We would be happy to give you a campus tour and answer questions you may have, and an admissions counselor will explain the application and admission process. In addition, a student aid counselor is available to discuss any concerns you have about financing your education. Please visit our admission events page to view upcoming events or to schedule a one-on-one appointment, please contact the Admissions Office at 610-285-5035.

When should I apply?

We recommend that first-year admission applications be submitted by November 30, but applications will be accepted after that date and evaluated in the order in which they’re received. Transfer admission applications should be submitted as soon as possible prior to the start of the desired semester, due to the lengthier evaluation of the transfer credit process. While Penn State Lehigh Valley offers a rolling admission throughout the year, it’s best to apply early to allow time for all of your information to be processed before the beginning of the semester.

How should I apply?

Apply online by visiting Penn State’s Undergraduate Admissions page and creating a MyPennState account. Be sure to include your first and second choices for campus location. If applying online is difficult for you, contact our Admissions Office at 610-285-5035 or

How will my student be notified about an admissions decision?

We recommend all students log back into their MyPennState account throughout the application process. Students are able to see what information Penn State is missing to complete their application as well as monitor the status of the application and receive the decision online. All students within the United States are notified through the mail regarding the outcome of the application evaluation.

Is there housing available at Penn State Lehigh Valley?

While Penn State Lehigh Valley does not offer on-campus housing, there is plenty of off-campus housing available in Allentown, Bethlehem, and the surrounding areas. Penn State Lehigh Valley has partnered with Places4Students, a service that assists students with the search for off-campus housing accommodations, finding roommates, and posting student sublets.

Can my student start and finish a Penn State degree at Penn State Lehigh Valley?

Yes, the campus offers ten different degree programs (nine baccalaureate degrees and one associate degree) that can be started and finished entirely at Penn State Lehigh Valley.

The students can also complete the first two years of nearly all of Penn State’s 160 degree programs at the Lehigh Valley campus through the 2+2 Plan. The final two years of these programs can be finished at the University Park campus or a variety of other Penn State campuses.

My student is interested in doing the “2+2 Plan” by starting at Penn State Lehigh Valley and then transferring to University Park. When will the “transfer” happen?

We never use the term “transfer” to describe the process of relocating from one campus location to another. That’s because at Penn State University, every campus location is equal. Every credit earned at a campus is equal to the credits offered at University Park, and student who begin their studies at a campus location are on equal footing with their counter parts at University Park when it comes to Entrance to Major at the end of sophomore year.

At Penn State, the process of relocating from one campus to another is called Change of Campus, and this typically takes place after completing the first two years of full-time study toward a baccalaureate degree. Change of Campus requests submitted prior to the completion of two years of study are only granted in extreme cases in which the students would not be able to meet the curricular requirements of the chosen major.

Whom can I contact at Penn State Lehigh Valley to discuss services for disabilities?

Penn State is committed to providing access to a quality education for students, including those with documented disabilities. The campus disability coordinator is Linda Rumfield, she can be reached at 610-285-5124.

How does my student find out if he or she is eligible for financial aid?

To be considered for student aid, all Penn State students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is the only financial aid application Penn State requires.

Penn State recommends that first-year students submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15 for maximum consideration of all student aid programs. Returning and transfer students should submit a FAFSA renewal by April 15.

If our family owns a house in Pennsylvania, is my student eligible for PA residency?

To qualify for in-state tuition, the student needs to reside in Pennsylvania. Owning a house in Pennsylvania alone does not qualify a student for PA residency tuition. To change your status from out-of-state to in-state, you will need proof of residency, including PA income tax and federal income tax forms for the most current year.

My student is taking college courses with a local college/university. Will they transfer to Penn State?

A student can evaluate transfer credits he/she may have already earned or plan to earn from an accredited college or university using Penn State’s Transferring Credit Tool.

Can my student take Penn State courses while he/she is still in high school?

Yes! The Penn State Lehigh Valley Dual Enrollment Program offers high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to take college courses at a 50% tuition reduction. The program enables students to get a real jump on their college careers by earning college credits while still in high school. Students may choose form a variety of Penn State course offerings during the fall, spring, or summer semesters.