Important information to know before requesting the Nittany Lion Mascot:
- You must be 18 years or older to request the Nittany Lion.
- All requests must be submitted at least four (4) weeks prior to the event. All requests will be evaluated based on the policies below and a reply will be forthcoming within two (2) weeks of your submission.
- The Nittany Lion is a current student, so academics come first. Appearances are based on the students’ availability.
- The Lion can only stay in costume for 30-45 minutes at one time. The suit gets very hot and is made from very thick fur with a canvas liner along with leather gloves. The suit can get as hot as 70-80 degrees, even on a cold day. If temperature on location (inside or outside) is more than 75 degrees, the time is reduced to 20 minutes. If temperatures are above 85 degrees, the time is reduced to 10 minutes. Breaks must be at least 10 minutes in length.
- The Lion must always be accompanied by an escort.
- You are responsible for providing a handler to accompany the lion during his visit. The handler is responsible for being an extra set of eyes and ears and a voice. The Lion is not allowed to talk while in costume. The handler helps to guide the lion through crowds, up or down stairs, answer questions and protect the Lion.
- All requesting organizations must provide the following:
Place for student to change into costume in private.
Place to secure their belongings while in costume.
Provide an escort while the student is in costume.
Provide water for the student in the costume.
Who can request the Nittany Lion Mascot?
- Recognized PSU-LV student organizations
- PSU Alumni Association or Alumni Chapter
- Registered Members of Penn State Alumni Association
- PSU Lehigh Valley sponsored events
Service area is a 20-mile radius from Penn State Lehigh Valley campus.