More than $3,600 was raised to support the fight against pediatric cancer on Aug. 1, during the second Penn State Lehigh Valley Day in Bethlehem. The proceeds were a result of more than 200 alumni, friends and community members who participated with the Downtown Bethlehem Association (DBA) to focus on community outreach and partnership through the use of a passport that encouraged shoppers and diners to visit downtown Bethlehem merchants.
Downtown businesses which participated in Penn State Lehigh Valley Day donated 5 percent of their sales from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Aug. 1.
The $10 passports were sold both in advance and on the day of the event. One hundred percent of those proceeds were donated, raising an initial $1,290. Passports were stamped by participating businesses upon a customer’s visit, and raffled prizes were given to shoppers who visited five or more merchants. The DBA raffle baskets featured Penn State merchandise, gift certificates from participating businesses and a two-night stay at the historic Hotel Bethlehem. Additionally, special discounts, giveaways, or menu items were offered during the day to passport holders. See the full list below.
A downtown party was held on Main Street, which included live Blue Band music, face painting, Berkey Creamery Ice Cream, photos with the Nittany Lion, blood pressure screening and lots of Penn State Lehigh Valley faculty, staff, alumni, friends and advisory board members helping to make it a fun and informative family-friendly day.
Last year was the inaugural Penn State Lehigh Valley Day. The idea for the event was formed jointly between Penn State Lehigh Valley and the Hotel Bethlehem, which has been serving Penn State’s Berkey Creamery Ice Cream since September 2013. The Hotel Bethlehem approached the DBA with the idea of holding a special fundraising event to help Penn State Lehigh Valley aid families and children in the battle against pediatric cancer.
Participating DBA members and some special offers included:
- Aardvark Sports Shop
- Among Friends Hair & Nail Salon – Basic manicure for $10 (regularly $15) and shampoo and style for $20 (regularly $30).
- Bethlehem Brew Works – One free 5 ounce flagship beer sample for guests 21 and over.
- Donegal Square – 5 percent off merchandise.
- Franklin Hill Vineyards – Complimentary sangria.
- Hand Cut Crystal – 20 percent off regular-price merchandise. Some restrictions applied.
- Intrigued Salon
- JewelWerks –customers received a free Chavez for Charity bracelet benefiting Alex’s Lemonade Stand with a $40 purchase.
- McCarthy’s Red Stag Pub – 5 percent off order. Free crisps or chips for each party when a drink was ordered.
- Moravian Book Shop – 10 percent off all Penn State merchandise.
- Musselman Jeweler’s
- Penn State Lehigh Valley Admissions Table
- Rockin’ Good Health LLC Therapeutic Massage – first 5 minutes of massage was free.
- Season’s Olive Oil & Vinegar Tap Room
- Tapas on Main
- The Shoppe Ice Cream at Historic Hotel Bethlehem
- The Shoppe at Hotel Bethlehem – 10 percent off the entire purchase.
- Tap Room at Historic Hotel Bethlehem – Customers enjoyed half price appetizer with purchase of an entrée.
Public Relations Specialist
Penn State Lehigh Valley