Instructions for Priority Registration and Honor Cord Application
Penn State recognizes those who have honorably served or are currently serving in the United States Armed Forces by awarding priority registration and a red, white, and blue honor cord at graduation in recognition of their duty and sacrifice. Priority registration allows veterans, active duty service members, and reservists to schedule classes ahead of the general student population. Priority registration dates differ by campus location. To check with your campus registrar and determine which date is applicable to you, contact the campus Registrar's Office, email [email protected], or call 610-285-5057.
The term “veteran” refers to an individual who:
- Has served in the United States Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard), including a reserve or guard component, and
- Was discharged or released from such service with a condition other than dishonorable.
- The term “actively serving” refers to an individual who is currently serving in the United States Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard), including a reserve or guard component.
Students at Penn State Commonwealth Campuses must submit the following to [email protected] :
- Students using military educational benefit (Chapters 30, 31, 33, 1606) - A current copy of your Certificate of Eligibility is preferred. If not available, a copy of your Service 2 or Member 4 section of your DD 214 (indicating character of discharge) will be accepted
- Veterans or reservist students not using a military benefit - A copy of the Service 2 or Member 4 section of your DD 214 (indicating character of discharge.)
- Actively serving military students who have not completed first term of service - A letter from their command indicating your dates and characterization of service. Letter must be signed by your commander (Common Access Card- "CAC" enabled signatures will be accepted).
** For DD214 submissions, you must annotate your 9-digit Penn State ID and Penn State email address on the top right corner of the document.
If uncertain on whether you have requested priority registration in the past, check the home page of your LionPath account under Enrollment Appointment.
Dependents of military members, including those using a transferred educational benefit, are not eligible for priority registration or the military honor cord.
Personnel serving in state militias are not eligible for priority registration or the military honor cord upon graduation.
Office of Veterans Programs
146 Ritenour Building
University Park, PA 16802-5901
Email: [email protected]