Lehigh Valley announces THON dancers

PSU-LV's THON dancers pose for photo

Penn State Lehigh Valley students chosen to represent the campus as dancers at this year's THON are, from left, Alexis Matlack, Tyler Mantz, Rhea Kochhar, and Brianna Peters. 

Credit: Penn State

CENTER VALLEY, Pa. – Four highly committed Penn State Lehigh Valley (PSU-LV) students have been chosen to serve as the campus’ 2022 THON dancers.

Junior Brianna Peters, senior Alexis Matlack, sophomore Rhea Kochhar and freshman Tyler Mantz will be at University Park’s Bryce Jordan Center Feb. 18-20 participating in the annual 46-hour dance marathon, which as always will benefit Four Diamonds at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital.

The largest student-run philanthropy in the world, THON has raised more than $190 million for over 4,800 families affected by pediatric cancer since its inception in 1973. All told, more than 16,500 student volunteers have taken part in the event. This year’s THON theme is “Spark Endless Light.”

A business management and marketing major, Peters has served as PSU-LV’s THON chair for the past two years. Last year, she was part of the team that placed in the top three for fundraising totals among Commonwealth Campuses. Because of that, PSU-LV was one of two campuses picked to host a booth at the THON Family Carnival in December.

“I'm ecstatic to dance for THON 2022 because this is the cherry on top of my THON journey,” Peters said. “Being selected for this honorable experience is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that you can't do anywhere else. I've been eager to take on this role since my freshman year in college and I'm beyond thankful to be one of the many dancers for this year.”

Matlack, a psychology major, has served as campus THON events chair for the past two years. Her efforts have resulted in several successful on- and off-campus fundraising events.

“I am honored to have been selected to represent the Lehigh Valley campus as a THON 2022 dancer,” Matlack said. “Being a dancer has been my goal since my first meeting in THON. Being a dancer to me means seeing a glimpse into what those fighting feels both physically and emotionally through their journey.”

A childhood cancer survivor, Kochhar is in her second year of involvement with PSU-LV THON and is an active board member. She’s demonstrated her passion for the mission through her morale building at club meetings and her commitment to fundraisers like the Candy Sale and Annual Book Drive.

“I'm excited to be a dancer and represent our campus as a childhood cancer survivor and to inspire people and show that achieving your dreams is possible,” said Kochhar, a business management and marketing major.

Mantz, a marketing major and photography minor, arrived on campus already an enthusiastic supporter of THON, given his involvement with his high school’s mini-THON event. Currently campus THON’s director of alumni and donor relations, Mantz has established a bond with local alumni and is working diligently to further connect the campus with community donors.

“It is an honor to represent Penn State Lehigh Valley as a dancer,” Mantz said. “My passion for THON started in high school, and I knew I would continue my involvement at Penn State. I did not expect this opportunity, but our small organization allowed me to have a larger impact.”

For more on THON, visit thon.org/

Contact