Downtown Bethlehem Association (DBA) businesses in downtown Bethlehem, Pennsylvania are coming together from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 1 to raise funds for pediatric cancer in honor of Penn State Lehigh Valley Day.
The event will kick off at 11 a.m. with an opening ceremony at the 1810 Goundie House on Main Street in Bethlehem. The home, which today hosts exhibits showcasing Bethlehem’s history, was built for John Sebastian Goundie, Bethlehem’s brewer and a community leader.
Downtown businesses participating in Penn State Lehigh Valley Day will donate 5 percent of their sales from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. to benefit pediatric cancer. Some businesses also will be offering a special item or discount to Penn State Lehigh Valley Day Passport Holders. See the full list below.
Passports are $10 and 100 percent of the proceeds will be donated to pediatric cancer research. The passport will be stamped by each participating business upon the customer’s visit and also enables the passport holder enter to win a DBA raffle basket featuring Penn State merchandise, gift certificates from participating businesses and a two-night stay at Hotel Bethlehem.
Passports can be purchased online on the Downtown Bethlehem Association’s website prior to the event, or at the Hotel Bethlehem lobby the day of the event. Participation in the event is not limited to Penn State alumni. The event is open to all area residents, families and visitors. Passports can be purchased online by visiting the event website.
A downtown party also will be held on Main Street. The Nittany Lion will be roaming the street, while live music and activities will offer family-friendly fun. Social media users are encouraged to use the hashtag #PSLVDay2015 when posting comments or photos about the event.
Participating DBA members include:
• Aardvark Sports Shop
• Among Friends Hair & Nail Salon – Basic manicure for $10 (regularly $15) and shampoo and style for $20 (regularly $30).
• Bethlehem Brew Works – One free 5 ounce flagship beer sample for guests 21 and over.
• Donegal Square – 5 percent off merchandise.
• Franklin Hill Vineyards – Complimentary sangria.
• Hand Cut Crystal – 20 percent off regular-price merchandise. Some restrictions apply.
• Intrigued Salon
• JewelWerks –customers will receive a free Chavez for Charity bracelet benefiting Alex’s Lemonade Stand with a $40 purchase.
• McCarthy’s Red Stag Pub – 5 percent off your order. Free crisps or chips for each party when a drink is ordered.
• Moravian Book Shop – 10 percent off all Penn State merchandise.
• Musselman Jeweler’s
• Penn State Lehigh Valley Admissions Table
• Rockin’ Good Health LLC Therapeutic Massage – first five minutes of massage is free.
• Season’s Olive Oil & Vinegar Tap Room
• Tapas on Main
• The Shoppe Ice Cream at Historic Hotel Bethlehem
• The Shoppe at Hotel Bethlehem – 10 percent off your entire purchase.
• Tap Room at Historic Hotel Bethlehem – Enjoy half price appetizer with purchase of an entrée
Last year was the inaugural Penn State Lehigh Valley Day. The idea for the event was formed jointly between Penn State Lehigh Valley and the Hotel Bethlehem, who has been serving Penn State’s Berkey Creamery Ice Cream since September 2013. The Hotel Bethlehem approached the DBA with the idea of holding a special fundraising event to help Penn State Lehigh Valley aid families and children in the battle against pediatric cancer.
One of the participating businesses is The Shoppe at Hotel Bethlehem, the location where customers can get their Penn State Berkey Creamery ice cream locally. The Creamery’s Assistant Manager will be at Penn State Lehigh Valley Day for a special meet and greet. The Creamery is celebrating its 150th Anniversary this year. The special anniversary flavor, Birthday Cake, debuted this month and will be available at The Shoppe at Hotel Bethlehem. This new addition to the menu is a yellow cake batter ice cream with blue frosting swirl and frosted cookie freckles.
The night before Penn State Lehigh Valley Day, an alumni-only event will be held at the Hotel Bethlehem. The Special Edition Blue & White Night, hosted by the Penn State Lehigh Valley Alumni Society, will be from 6 to 9 p.m. on July 31. This exclusive event for Penn State alumni will feature complementary appetizers, Penn State-themed beverages (cash bar) and the Berkey Creamery’s new 150th Anniversary Flavor, Birthday Cake. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet the new Penn State Lehigh Valley Chancellor, Tina Q. Richardson. A special presentation will also be given at the event about the 150th Anniversary of the Creamery. The event is free for alumni, but space is limited. Visit the event website to RSVP.