Scholarship recipient reflects on the generosity shown to her

Every year Penn State Lehigh Valley scholarships impact the lives of Penn State students like January Misero

Misero graduated from the Penn State Lehigh Valley (PSU-LV) campus in December 2018 with a degree in corporate communication and a minor in business. While at PSU-LV, Misero obtained paid internship experience at a local nonprofit, traveled abroad to the Netherlands, and learned from world-class professors – all of which would not have been possible without the support of multiple scholarships.

What path led you to PSU-LV?
“I was transferring from Lehigh Carbon Community College. PSU-LV was close to home and affordable. I really liked the high-quality professors. Everything I experienced here was worth the investment in my education!”

Why did the scholarships you received matter to you?
“I received a scholarship from Air Products and this allowed me to intern at a nonprofit, which is something I am passionate about.  I interned at the Lehigh Valley Zoo, which offers an unpaid internship, but I wanted to do it because nonprofits are close to my heart. The Air Products scholarship funding allowed me to work as an intern three days a week, while getting paid. It felt great to be supported through this experience.

I also received an academic scholarship from the Lehigh Valley Chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association which was a huge help. It is not easy when you come from a household that does not make enough money to support you through college so academic scholarships are so beneficial to students, like me, to help them get an education and advance in their career.

Lastly, I was able to go to the Netherlands for a short-term study abroad experience because of a scholarship I received to travel abroad.

I am always grateful to anyone who shows support to students who need financial assistance, and helping students reach their full potential and achieve better opportunities in the future. I would like to thank every single donor who invested in my education and I am hoping to invest my education in something good by working at a nonprofit. I also hope to attend graduate school in a year or so.”

What have you valued most about your experience at PSU-LV?
“I valued the excellent professors I had and the cultural experiences I got to have by studying abroad.”

Want to help students like January?
Learn more about PSU-LV Scholarship opportunities at the PSU-LV Giving Page. For more information, contact Development Director Phillip St. James at [email protected] or 610-285-5072.

Contact

Dennille Schuler

Public Relations Specialist
Penn State Lehigh Valley

Work Phone
610-285-5018