Before the Interview
- Arrive 7 minutes early to an interview. You will be early, but not intrusive.
- Be sure your suit fits well, shoes are polished, and your ensemble is business professional. Give yourself plenty of time to prepare your outfit before the day of your interview (including any necessary tailoring).
Review Company Website – Know the history, mission statement, company overview, size/number of employees, locations. Also, visit Hoover’s Online through University Libraries.
Linkedin.com – Gather information on the hiring manager and the other individuals you will meet with for your interview; e.g. work history, titles and responsibilities.
- Drive to the location the day before your interview to gauge your time and know where you are headed.
- Schedule an appointment with the Office of Career Strategy to complete a practice interview.
- Use Interview Stream to practice your skills via pre-recorded video questions.
- Purchase a professional padfolio and have several copies of your resume with you. We recommend bringing at least two pens
- Be prepared to ask questions. Here are some examples.
During the Interview
- Collect business cards from everyone on your interviewing committee.
- Make good eye contact, smile, and acknowledge anyone you meet at the interview site.
- Have a firm handshake. Do not be too strong, but definitely do not offer a limp or delicate grip.
- Stand up tall when standing, and sit up tall when sitting. Do not slouch or recline.
- Remember to ask thoughtful relevant questions.
- We recommend that you send a handwritten thank you note to each individual with whom you interviewed.
- Send the note within 24 hours of your interview.